Monday 19 March 2018

Welcome to Mermaid Week!

Curious to know what Mermaid Week is? Read on! I discovered after my January craft haul that I owned seven, yep, 7, mermaid stamps. I'm hazy on how it happened as I don't like to duplicate stamps if I can, but clearly mermaids call to me. With seven stamps I thought it would be fun to challenge myself to make a different card for every day of the week, hence the creation of Mermaid Week.

So without further ado, here is my card for the very first day.


It's a new to me stamp company called Nina Crafts who I discovered through a friend when we met at a craft fair last October. Have a look at their website as they have a few different brands and they also manufacture stamps, in case any of you fancies a foray into setting up a new company!

She is a really good size and her hair and flowing tail were just perfect for practicing my Copic colouring on. Hair is something I really need to work on still. I decided to go all out on my colours - ooops.... didn't write them all down, yet again - and she had to have pink hair and a bright green tail.

I did some ink smooshing with distress inks on a piece of watercolour card and then fussy cut out my mermaid - I do love it, if you watched my paper piecing video, you know I do. I simply popped her and the bubbles up on foam pads.


How do you feel about mermaids? Fan or not? Feel free to join me in mermaid week, and if you're using Instagram, use the hashtag #ruthsmermaidweek It's just for a bit of silly fun and to share my love of mermaids!

5 comments:

Lisa T said...

She’s very sweet and I love all those bright colours, they suit her! Great idea to do the smooshing technique as a background, perfect. Will try and join in if I can, back permitting. I think i only have one mermaid lol. Lisa xx

Vicki Dutcher said...

She is so fun with that lovely watered background!

Cara said...

I love this! Your background is just perfect too x

Michelle Short said...

Yay! for mermaid week! Love this mermaid, Ruth! I love the bight colours you have used for her and her fabulous background xx

Darnell said...

I get it, Ruth! Mermaids are your hummers! Now here's the deal: I love hummers and am fortunate enough to have them visit feeders right outside the Playhouse window, so now you need to get mermaids to visit you in your backyard, haha! Can you imagine?! Until then, we will have to settle for your fabulous mermaid cards and that's a pleasure!! Hugs, Darnell

Blog design by aleelilydesigns